Friday, July 18, 2014

Food For Thinking Traders

 ( Email Submissions )


Email 1,

********************************


Please tell me if I am viewing this trade correctly


 


26 day vx future is trading at 12.70

61 day vx future is trading at 13.70


 


***************************************************


 


so the "cost to carry" roll is one dollar... to take the trade out 35 days or a dollar of decay if we go nowhere..
 
  ***Correct but not exact***


 


my question for you is .. if the vix in the front month goes from 12.70 to its historical low of 9


 


what does that mean for the SPX.. if 19 percent vol is a one percent move,.. what is a .09 percent vol mean .. "that is hardly moving per day?"
 
***It still means that the future will be around 10 or 11….Maybe it means a 40 to 50 point move in the S&P’s***


 


how much of a move up in spx = a move down in vx, and is it linear.. is every point down = the same level of move up in spx or is this skewed .. meaning one percent move up equals one percent move down in vx .. then a second percent move up = .50 move down in vx and so on ..
 
  *** It’s not linear and it’s approximately 20 points in the/ES to every 1 point in /VX futures…***


 


please help me estimate the level of pain I would be feeling holding the 61 day vx future (which i just bot) if we are at historic lows in the VIX
 
  *** My best guess at those levels is 40 to 60 S&P points but nobody really knows.***


 




 
********************************


Email 2


Hello,

 

I have a few quick questions from your short term vs long term selling Vol

 
My take away was that you have a slightly larger cushion being caught short Prem if it explodes to the up side, by being father out in time (duration) OPTIONS ONLY

 
but my question for you has to do with the trade I have been doing by selling uvxy or vxx against a future.  

 
when you are in this trade and the underlying future + options, it would appear to me that the above mentioned gamma risk against short time would be muted by the presence of and underlying, not just short options- is that correct? because the gamma risk associated with short term duration seems like it would be off set against the future underlying gain or loss.

 

here is what I have been doing..

  I bot one VX future vxq4 at 13.60

and sold the 29 call in uvxy 5x times against it for $2.86 Credit..July 14

and after some time and downward movement in the VX I then bot the 27 strike Call for $2.60 Debit, July 14

***Free Vertical***

then I am in this call spread for free .. but I gave up my Theta Decay so then I went into Aug 14 (more time) and sold the 30 strike call for $3.30 Credit

and again the same thing happened time has melted away and we have moved lower in the vx so I bot the 25 strike Call for $3.35 Debit

.05 cents debit for this vertical

and not wanting to go out any father then I went into to VXX another like product and am working 10x there against my original future at the Aug 29 calls at $1.50 credit

am I managing these trades correctly getting into a vertical and rolling out the sold prem.. or would it be wiser to A) either do them longer term and not touch them? B) do them short term and let them go and re establish every few weeks milking every possible theta from the position? or C) the vertical hybrid thing I a have seemed to find myself in ..

I am sure there is no direct right answer but speaking in generalities what do you think ..

thank you in advance


I cannot discuss the specifics of any individual trade), conceptually, you are pretty much spot on. You have to under-hedge. Part of it is the gamma risk and part is being right directionally. Regardless, looking at your adjustments, I’m not sure that you could have done anything differently. You never could have assumed the depth of the volatility contraction and I really believe that you made the logical ‘tweak’.


 
********************************

Email 3

Hello

 

I hope you can help I just have a few volatility related questions I hope you can help me on.

what I am trying to do is work on the correct ratios here

what I am attempting to do is buy a /VX future

 

either the VXQ4 (35 days)

or the VXU4 (63) days

 

and sell one of the ETF (n) vol products with drag against it.

 

My first question has to do with the future.. both the futures products say 1000 delta once purchased .. but I know the speed of a move is not linear and will move differently depending on term structure..

 
but how can I know relative to a ETF product how much delta is actually is .. meaning

 
IF I was to sell 5 UVXY or 10 VXX against the future .. how can I determine the time frames in which they are closer to delta neutrality? if this was a stock I feel I understand how the greeks would work to determine ratio.. but the idea of $1000.00 a point in the future vs the equivalent dollar value in the ETF... seems ok in theory but I think it would have to be tweaked depending on what time frame and I don't exactly know how to do this because I cant calculate the time effect on the different contact months for the futures contract its offsetting.


I am trying to figure out if its better to do them both in the same month and forget about it, or to do more or less contracts for a shorter time, for example every week, and reload and repeat, but I feel like I could run into trouble selling 5 uvxy contracts for week with a longer dated future that might not move as much to cover it if we move up. I hope you can see what I am asking here and help me determine something like selling 4 uvxy with one week might be like 7 with weeks and 10 with 35 days. I can get that portion from the options greeks If I could just better understand the different effects through the different month futures.

 

and now my second question..

 

I am working under the idea that the Vol ETFs would actually out perform if we were to get a longer term sustained up move in VOL with its built in rolling feature (which we haven't ever really seen) but besides looking at the differences in credit I could bring in selling VXX or UVXY is there any other determining factor as to why sell one product over the other? 

 

thank you in advance for your time and patience I hope you can translate my question into something meaning full and help

 

I look forward to hearing from you


Hello,
 
Generally, if vol spikes up the product with less time to expiration is going to respond more than the product with more time.  So, you’ll see the VIX jump the most, the Aug /VX go up less, and the Sep /VX go up the least.  So if you’re looking at selling UVXY or VXX against /VX, I’d look for an expiration that has the same or a bit longer time than the future.   You could sell fewer contracts in a closer expiration and maybe capture more time decay than doing more contracts in a further expiration, but figuring out the right ratio of how much that near month will rally vs your long future is tough to quantify.  You could assume that the /VX basis moves to, say, 2 points under (vs .67 over where the Aug/Sep basis is right now), and try to estimate how much the VXX or UVXY options change.  It’s an educated guess.  

Whether the VXX (and by association the UVXY) outperforms if vol makes a sustained move higher is tough to say because of the fluctuations in the /VX basis over the rolling cycle of the VXX, and how vol makes that sustained move.  Whether it moves steadily up every day, or moves up in occasional jumps.

 
********************************

Email 4



thank you

 

one more additional question..

the VXX right now is at 27.95 ( basically 28)

If I was to buy the Aug (31) day call vertical

28 strike and sell the 30 strike two dollar wide vertical

theo price is 1.66 - 1.10 aka .56 cents debit (i know the markets are closed so this might be a hair off.

and then SELL IN UVXY the 2 dollar wide out of the money spread.

uvxy is at $25.38  (.64 cents out of the money)

and I was to sell the 26- 28 call spread for .57 cents credit..

both trades for net net zero. debit plus credit.

is this going to track penny for penny .. is would this position lock in the slight difference the two verticals difference between where the spread is vs at the money (one spread five cents away.. one spread 64 cents away?)

it would appear there is a slight difference between the two products when I type in uvxy-vxx in a chart is this too close to arb together?

again thank you and I am looking forward to tomorrows confirm and send.
 

 Enjoy your night.
 
***UVXY is going to move twice as fast. Maybe it's a 2:1 play but these are difficult arbitrage plays for retail traders.....***
 
sorry for the multiple emails...I don't want to clog your email box..
 
I would imagine the trade could be set up thinking if you are doing both verticals for the same price... then the faster one would go in the money faster then the other one would lose.. if you were to buy uvxy and sell vxx..
 
or if done the other way around.. you are wanting the spread to go to zero on one side (credit faster then the debit side if uvxy is sold)
 
but it might be more trouble then its worth.
 
 

***Way more trouble 1:1. It only will work if you skew it to make things interesting***

 


Another Traders Approach  ( O.V. B.) Thank you for your feed back.


"Can't exactly answer your question because I don't know the answer,
but will offer some ideas:

First - from hedging perspective:

1 - simple delta at any moment can be simply calculated from holdings
- you know how much of each maturity futures ETF has at any time

2 - if you're looking to combine your hedges to a single expiration -
for example hedge your ETF basket with single maturity VX - you net
exposure, and calculate hedge ratios using a model or statistical
correlations.

Second- since you're looking to trade with a view it is very hard to
something like  - here's how many VIX futures you need to trade
against your ETF to protect against what I assume to be some market
risk, but still "out perform if we were to get a longer term sustained
up move in VOL with its built in rolling feature" even though you know
that these ETFs are created from the very futures you want to trade
again them.

I think perhaps a better framework may be is to figure out futures
trade in terms of (possible) principal components and express them as
ETFs, ..........."